The project conditions and the idea.
After the urban project of a residential expansion for Betanzos I’ve had to design two of the proposed endowments on it.
The first one was the key of the conexions between the expansion, Betanzos and the other Galician cities due to the conexion to the national railroad. An intermodal station that would mix a tranvia conexion with the city, a regional/national train conexion and different bus conexions.
The plot was located on a strategic position. Working as a node between the old city, the new city and the expansion and crossed by the national railroad network.
The program included a tram dock, bus dock, cafeteria, WC, a viewpoint, a shop and two office.
The building idea comes from four clear intentions:
- The need of a large green park that will work as a link between both parts of the city.
- The intention that the building emerge from this green land, forms part of it and appearing as a “surprise” among the terrain.
- Made a building that operates as an extension of that public space into the interior of it.
Structure and construction.
The materials and the structure plays an important role on the integration of the building into the terrain. The use of wood as a façade and interior material supported by a lightweight steel structure allowed me to use long vains. This long vains enable a clear sense of light and a good transition between exterior and interior.
The foundation structure consist of isolated concrete footings attached by concrete tie beams.
The main structure consist of a light steel pillars and beams mixed with concrete slabs.
- Concrete pavement e: 15 mm
- Mortar e: 35 mm
- Sand e: 75 mm
- Gravel e: 210 mm
- Elastomeric roofing
- Continuous e: 300 mm
- Steel veneer
- Glass 5+5+10+5+5
- Pine base screed 300×500 mm
- Oak deck 150×500 mm e: 15 mm
- Extruded polystyrene e: 300 mm
- Pine decking 150×2500 mm e: 15 mm
- Pine base screed 1200×300 mm
- Rock wool e: 120 mm
- Drop ceiling pine sheating e: 15 mm
- Pine based screed 300×350 mm
- Continuous slab e:150 mm
- S-Shape 220
- Steal angle 32×32 mm
- U steal profile 28×28 mm
- Zinc copestone e: 1 mm
- Pine base screed 500×300 mm
- Extruded polyestyrene 40 mm
- Composite decking e: 10 mm
- Elastomeric roofing
- Pine based screed 200×200 mm
- Pine roof boarding e: 15 mm
- PVC node
- Geotextile e: 1 mm